My 20/20 Lifestyles Blog

This is a place to keep my thoughts on going through the 20/20 program at The Pro Club (www.proclub.com)

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Group Therapy

Week: 2

Weekly group therapy is an integral part of the 20/20 Program. You go to these each week (8 total) for about 75mins. They are led by a counselor and each group has between 8 and 10 attendees.

I’ve just completed my second ‘group’ session. The biggest take away is that guys just don’t like to talk. I almost feel sorry for Bill our therapist, as it is often times like pulling teeth to get conversations going. In my first group, about 8 of us had all entered the room, sat down across and next to each other and didn’t say a single word until Bill showed up. I’m hoping that as the sessions go on we all open up some more.

The first session was spent with each of us going over the below items:

Yourself (name, what do you do)

Why now to start 20/20

Progress to date

Thoughts on the Shakes.

The second session went a little better, although there is still that reluctance to talk about ‘feelings’ and such within a room full of guys. We broke into two groups and went over the following:

Names

Progress

2 important things you’ve learned

Difficulties you’ve run into

Recipes

There is one guy in our group, who ended up in my breakout session who didn’t need to start on the meal-replacement program (meaning he doesn’t have to go through the Protein Shakes.) I believe it was because of a kidney problem that he has (which I feel bad for) but I can see the eyes of those around the table who vehemently detest his program as it is so different from ours. He’s talking about making sandwiches and stir-fry with rice, and all these other things which are 8 to 10 weeks down the road for most of us.

In our first session Bill told us to go ahead bring our dinners if this coincided with our meal times. So I got a "Grab and Go" Asian Chicken Salad (I still am excited about veggies) and brought it to class. Of course I was the only one with food, and most of the salad stuff was super-crunchy. I kept getting some of those evil-eyes in my direction as I munched down. They should be happy it wasn’t salmon or some other more aromatic food.

RSS Site Feed