My 20/20 Lifestyles Blog

This is a place to keep my thoughts on going through the 20/20 program at The Pro Club (www.proclub.com)

Monday, March 21, 2005

Damn, so close to 250 but not there yet

Original Weight: 320lbs
Two Weeks Ago: 257 lbs
This Week: 252.4 lbs

As I posted earlier I was really hoping to get down to 250 this week. I came up a couple of pounds short. I’m going to blame this on not getting out on the bike this weekend. I had been hoping to do 60 miles on Sunday, but a few conspiring factors were working against me: after several weeks of early spring and dry-sunshine, Mother Nature came back with a vengeance this weekend. There were very high winds and it rained hard. I know I need to be prepared to ride in the wet, but this weekend was a little insane to start wet-weather training. The other factor was both my wife and son came down with the flu, leaving me responsible to take care of the home front.

On top of the above, I ate a few hundred extra calories Saturday night (whole wheat spaghetti with meat sauce) to bulk up on some carbs in preparation for the extended ride. After not taking the ride I felt like I had this boat anchor of pasta hanging off my gut for most of the day. I’m sure it was only in my mind but the feeling kept pestering me all day.

I met with my dietician today and we went over my meal diary and talked about how things are going. Much like last week she didn’t have anything really to offer on things needing to change. She did encourage me to pick a food item that I haven’t had in a long time and try to ‘responsibly’ incorporate it into my meal plan in the next week or two. I’m not sure why, but the thing that popped into my head was “Ivar’s Clam Chowder”. I think the craving was triggered by a news report this morning on this being Ivar Haglund’s 100th birthday today. It’s weird sometimes what I find myself craving. Just this last week I was thinking about the really bad taco’s at Jack-in-the- Box. Another one was Chips and Salsa from Azteca. I should probably stop listing these as I’m starting to get myself hungry as I type.

I’m sad this next week with be Ganelle’s last week being the Wed/Fri Indoor Cycling instructor. She’s about 5 or 6 months pregnant now and is turning the class over to a substitute instructor. I’ve mentioned this before but her classes are light years different then everyone else’s. Wednesday she’s going to have us do the L’Alp D’Huez climb in class, with all 21 switchbacks and everything. I remember doing this one time before in her class and she does an awesome job of really getting us to visualize the course, and feeling the pain of each switchback where the grade of the road changes between and in the middle of each switchback. She also mixed in actual race commentary and music into the final five minutes making us really feel like we were in the middle of the Tour de France race as we crossed the finish line.

Last note for this update…. In this mornings cycling class I had my real struggle to go on in the middle of a class. It was weird. I was going strong, but wasn’t near my max, or for that fact even in an anaerobic state at the point. I just felt like quitting and it took a lot of mental regrouping to keep up the pace and finish. I figure it was about 5 to 8 minutes of this feeling before I was able to get past it. I’m not exactly sure what brought this on, but I did realize I didn’t have a snack before leaving the house so I was running on empty (I typically grab a 100 to 150 calorie snack 45 mins before a class). I have the sad feeling that had I not been in a class with 30 other people and instead out on the road or in a room by myself I probably would’ve stopped. I need to be aware of this to make sure I don’t succumb to this in the future.

-daryl welsh
RSS Site Feed