My 20/20 Lifestyles Blog

This is a place to keep my thoughts on going through the 20/20 program at The Pro Club (www.proclub.com)

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Diabetes and the 2005 Tour de Cure

I've recently signed up to do the Seattle 2005 Tour de Cure to support Diabete research and treatment. The event takes place less then two months from now (May 21st) and I will be doing the 70-mile ride.

While this length is only a short amount above the 50 miles I've done in the pass, the elevation changes are really large. I am a bit concerned about how poorly I've performed on the hills and will need to seriously change in order to not fall apart on the ride.

The event is a chance to challenge myself and to measure progress towards STP, but it is also a chance to help raise funds for the American Diabetes Association. Below is an e-mail I sent out to some friends and family to help me meet my fund-raising goals.


Dear Friends and Family,
I’ve never been one to openly solicit for a cause in the past. This is really a first for me so please bear with me as I try to explain to you what the Tour de Cure is for.

Just a few short months ago I was a prime candidate for developing my own adult diabetes and was fortunate to begin a program that allowed me to reduce my risk. So far I’ve lost 68 lbs. I recently accepted the challenge of cycling in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure fund-raising event. I am taking part in this event because diabetes has touched my families life (my mother has type-2 diabetes) and I believe in and support the Association's mission: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. It’s a great feeling to know the training I will be doing to succeed in this 70 mile event will go to help a much larger cause then just my own health.

You, too, can help by supporting my fund-raising efforts with a generous contribution. Your tax-deductible gift will make a difference to more than 18 million Americans who are affected by diabetes and another 20 million who are at risk for developing diabetes. It is faster and easier than ever to support this great cause - you can make your donation online by simply clicking the link at the bottom of this message. If you would prefer, you can also send your tax-deductible contribution to me at the address listed below.

More information on the American Diabetes Association, its programs, and diabetes in general can be found at the Association's Web site, www.diabetes.org. To find out more information on our Tour de Cure, please visit tour.diabetes.org.

Whatever you can give will help! I greatly appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress. I know giving is a very personal thing and even if you can’t provide financial support, please take a few minutes to learn about diabetes and how you too can help prevent it from happening to you or your family.

Sincerely,
Daryl Welsh
To donate online, click here. http://tour.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=2440&px=2221518

If this link does not send you directly to my personal fund-raising page, please cut and paste the entire link, from beginning to end, into your Web browser and hit return.

To send a donation:
Make all checks payable to:American Diabetes Association
Mail to: Daryl Welsh
1208 175th PL NE
Bellevue, WA, 98008-3837
RSS Site Feed