My 20/20 Lifestyles Blog

This is a place to keep my thoughts on going through the 20/20 program at The Pro Club (www.proclub.com)

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

End of Week 7

Week: 7

This was a slow week for weight loss. Only 1.4 lbs this week. This
brings me less then 1 lb from 30lbs in 7 weeks.

Barely losing a pound this last week is a pretty big bummer. I really
put a lot of effort into my exercise routine this last week, and my
diet was right in the middle of where it was suppose to be. I hope
I'm not at another set-point, where I have to wait while my body
figures out what it wants to do with itself.

Today I pushed really hard during my cardio with Emily. I stepped up
on the Stepmill to level 6 for the last 15 (of 30) mins. For that
time my heart rate was in the low 170's. We finished up with 10 mins
on the Elliptical, where Emily 'suggested' instead of 60 sec intervals
for the last 5 mins, that we do 90 sec intervals. (My training zone
is 132 to 162)

My heart rate during the intervals pushed up into the 180's. I think
it peaked at one point at 184. This was just 3 beats short of my
'theoretical maximum heart-rate'. You find that by taking 200 - (age,
in my case 33). I actually felt very energized at the end of the
intervals and while in the middle felt like I could've gone on for a
long time. Rationally I know I couldn't have, but it was a euphoric
feeling unlike any I've had so far in my training. Emily tried to get
me to take it easy for my own work-out on Tuesday, but I told her I
was doing a spinning class and I'd instead try to take it easy on
Thursday.

For the meal plan I was given access to ONE (yes just ONE) serving of
wheat bread per day. My dietician walked me through what a wheat
kernel really is and I understand it a lot better. Here's the 30-sec
recap:

Whole Wheat has three parts: The Bran, The Germ, and The Endosperm.

The Bran provides fiber and Vitamin-B
The Germ provides protein and Vitamin-E
The Endosperm provides carbs.

"Enriched" "Processed" flour means they strip out the Bran and Germ
and you get high-carb (high-sugar) flour. Tastes damn good, but
really not good for a guy like me.

Products made from "Whole Wheat" means they grind up all three parts
with nothing stripped out. <-- This is the ONLY type of wheat I
should be eating.


For this next week I'm going to eat my one slice of bread each day and
see how it goes.
RSS Site Feed