My 20/20 Lifestyles Blog

This is a place to keep my thoughts on going through the 20/20 program at The Pro Club (www.proclub.com)

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Spinning at home

A few weeks ago The Pro Club got new Indoor Cycling bikes (LeMond Revmasters) and sold off 30 of the older bikes. I was able to purchase one of those for a pretty cheap price. I now have an indoor trainer for my bicycle and a 'gym quality' spinning bike. Today I decided to try the the spinning bike to workout instead of going to the gym. I normally would have just went into the gym for my cardio work but I could feel the onset of flu-symptoms building up in my throat when I woke up this morning. I didn't want to skip the excercise and I didn't want to pass on the symptoms to others so I gave it a go at home.

I plopped in a DVD (Return of the Jedi) into my laptop and set it up in front of the bike. I dragged a large fan over as well and set off for some spinning fun.

I mentioned in previous posts either here or on my STP Training log that working out alone on the trainer takes A LOT of mental energy. When you're in the class the people around you and the instructor help keep you motivated. When you are alone you can start to think of a million reasons to slow down, or reduce the tension or even just to stop early.

I was able to get a complete hour in and still maintain a 159bpm average over the hour. You can see that I pushed myself into zone 5 a number of times. This equaled 1195 calories and bucket-load of sweat. If I could do it again I think I would've rested today as I was feeling *really* weak and more sick from when I woke up. I decided to stay home from work and rest. Hopefully I'll feel better by the end of the day.


RSS Site Feed